As a commercial property owner in Lombard, IL you may not think you have to worry about mold. After all, fungus mostly grows around moisture. Yet even buildings in desert conditions are not immune to black mold problems.
Mold thrives in hot and wet environments. While it may not rain much in [City, State], water could still end up in your property via:
Sink or water heater leaks
Ponds of water on roofs
Broken, missing or cracked shingles
In fact, properties in dry climates may need mold cleanup more frequently than those in wet locations do. Property owners in dry areas are often less vigilant about checking for water damage that can lead to mold.
Mold can easily destroy parts of your building. Even if your property is in a dry city, you should follow the below tips for preventing the spread of the fungus.
1. Black mold can grow within 24 or 48 hours of a leak, so any small spills or floods need to be dried right away.
2. The roof is a common cause of mold problems. Poor shingles, seals and flashing could cause leaks that encourage mold growth. You should thus inspect your roof regularly and have any issues repaired as soon as possible.
3. Even small holes created by woodpeckers or blowing debris can cause water to seep into your property. Check your walls periodically for any signs of damage.
4. Leaks are not the only thing that causes mold. Excessive condensation can also lead to mold growth. You can prevent this by installing exhaust fans in bathrooms. You should also frequently check the air conditioning condensate lines for clogs.
5. Black mold grows in hot and wet conditions, so limit moisture in your building as much as possible. You should also contact mold remediation specialists at the first sight of the fungus. They will know how to safely remove the mold and stop it from coming back.
I had a pipe leaking in my wall in my laundry area. 1st Choice came and opened up the wall, took my washer, dryer and laundry tub out of the room. After a plumber fixed the pipe, they came and pulled up the carpet and dried out the room. I was very satisfied with that part of my ordeal.
All of the employees I dealt with were polite, on time and did great work. They cleaned up after the job and would highly recommend them.
To prevent the possibility of an apartment fire, make sure your electrical and heating systems — along with any appliances — are up to code and functioning properly, and that your tenants are clear about fire safety rules.Read more
Here are three reasons that you need a flood insurance policy even though you don't live in a flood zone.Read more