Along with all the planning that goes into the design, a plan also needs to be in place to prevent water damage. If Mother Nature produces excess water and the site gets flooded, it means more than wet dirt. Ensuring that the plumbing system is properly installed is also key to avoiding a water pipe repair once the build is finished.
Prior to breaking ground, sources of water issues need to be discussed and planned for to minimize potential damage. The plan should include:
Scheduling work to avoid peak rainfall times.
Identify potential hazards and develop ways to control them. Also, know the local water table for the site. Work to develop methods to direct water away. Create a daily checklist to find a leak, broken pipe or other water intrusions early.
Once construction begins, daily inspections are required. Although the owner may not be part of the process, sitting down with the general contractor to ensure the bases are covered is important. This includes:
- Verifying that all water services work prior to walls being built, which is especially important in preventing a difficult water pipe repair.
- Store porous materials in a safe, dry place to prevent damage.
- Any exterior openings, including windows, doors, elevator shafts and the roof, have temporary coverings to prevent damage.
- Check that the area around the foundation slopes away from it, as well as that there are no visible cracks or fissures.
- Ensure sealants are properly applied in areas prone to letting water in.
Being prepared for the what-ifs is important during construction. Ensuring your general contractor is keeping water issues at bay can prevent a water pipe repair down the road. If water does infiltrate your new structure, rely on a water damage and restoration professional to help correct the problem.
I had a pipe leaking in my wall in my laundry area. 1st Choice came and opened up the wall, took my washer, dryer and laundry tub out of the room. After a plumber fixed the pipe, they came and pulled up the carpet and dried out the room. I was very satisfied with that part of my ordeal.
All of the employees I dealt with were polite, on time and did great work. They cleaned up after the job and would highly recommend them.